innovation for industry
Articles ＆ files | Focus | Article | Health ＆ life sciences
Measure biological parameters and cure
Less invasive than traditional needles, micro-needles reach the deep layers of the epidermis to deliver drugs, measure physiological characteristics, or send light to specific wavelengths. CEA-Leti has developed and qualified a new technology of biocompatible polymer micro-needles, ranging in length from 250 μm to 1500 μm. Directly applicable to the skin, multiple assembly can cover several square centimeters.
• Transdermal delivery of active ingredients: chemical drugs, proteins, nucleic acid, and vaccine formulations over short, medium, or long periods (3 min to several days)
• In-situ measurement of dermal parameters (pH, impedance)
• Interstitial fluid collection and electrochemical measurement of biomarkers (pH, glucose, lactate, cancer biomarkers, etc.)
• Optical waveguide for measuring and curing
Publications• ”A facile fabrication of dissolving micro-needles containing 5-aminolevulinic Acid“, Int. m. 586, 119554, 2020
• ”Introduction of a model of skin lesions on rats and testing of dissolving micro-needles containing 5-aminolevulinic“, Int. m. 594, 120115, 2021
• ”Innovative transdermal delivery of insulin using gelatin methacrylate-based microneedle patches in mice and mini-pigs“, Nanoscale Horiz. 7, 174-184, 2022
CEA is a French government-funded technological research organisation in four main areas: low-carbon energies, defense and security, information technologies and health technologies. A prominent player in the European Research Area, it is involved in setting up collaborative projects with many partners around the world.